Date released: June 26, 1981
Date watched: March 6, 2014
Why now?: Some of my best friends have gushed and gushed about how hilarious and entertaining this movie is; from the songs to the plot, they’ve had nothing but good things to say, and with the upcoming release of the next Muppet installment, Muppets Most Wanted, I figured it was time to bite the bullet and “meet the Muppets.”
Why not then?: This likely cannot be explained, nor will it make sense but, as a kid–and I’ll be honest, even as an adult–I’ve always had this weird fear of the Muppets. I don’t mean that I run out of the room screaming when I see them, but they always creeped me out. Miss Piggy and Kermit the Frog in particular, though I think the Miss Piggy fear extends from a recurring nightmare about her I had as a kid…so, ya…that’s why. Also, have you seen Kermit’s eyes? They just seem so dead! (I know, I know, he’s a Muppet!)
- Creepy Muppets (see above)
- Catchy songs, because if there’s anything that the muppets always do right, it’s music
- Simple writing fueled by “kid” humour
What I actually got:
- Amazing songs AND dance numbers. Seriously, who knew Muppets could dance?!
- A fun storyline that’s honestly enjoyable for people of all ages
- Clever British humour that legitimately made me laugh out loud
- A lot of breaking of the fourth wall, which, when done well, can be hilarious, and the Muppets get it right every time!
One night-in stand or second date potential?: Definitely second date potential. I still think they’re a little bit creepy, but it’s worth watching again just for the music alone! At least, that’s one critic’s opinion.[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09tVBhCvv0M]