BY CHASSITY MERRITT
What’s it about: Two very different Southern families (one poor and black, the other rich and white) with very intertwined lives and relationships, and the drama these relationships bring.
Who’s in it: Taraji P. Henson, Sanaa Lathan, Tyler Perry, Kathy Bates, Cole Hauser, Robin Givens, Alfre Woodard
When it came out: 2008
How come you haven’t heard of (or just seen) it: Let’s face it: Tyler Perry movies are mostly known for catering to a minority audience. On the flip side, for audiences of any background who generally love Tyler Perry movies, this is not the type of film he normally makes, so if you love Tyler Perry and usually love his hilarious movies and all its antics, you may have missed this one because it has little to none of that.
Why you need to watch it–immediately!
- Drama. There is more drama in this movie than in a week’s worth of soap operas
- Kathy Bates will make you laugh and cry
- If you’re from the south, you know someone like both Alfre Woodard’s character and Kathy Bates’s character, and you’ll love them both
- There is not dull moment in the movie. Every scene is powerful and makes you want to see what will happen next
- Comeuppance. Every character in the film gets what they deserve in the end. You will cheer
- This is easily the best movie Tyler Perry ever made. Compared to his other projects, this movie is in a class of its own. Such a true piece of art