What it’s about: At the end of his career, clueless fashion model, Derek Zoolander is brainwashed to kill the Prime Minister of Malaysia by corrupt fashion executives.
Who’s in it: Ben Stiller, Jerry Stiller, Will Ferrell, Owen Wilson, Christine Taylor, Milla Jovovich, David Duchovny, Jon Voight (I could go on, but if you’re curious just check them all out here.)
When it came out: 2001
How come you haven’t heard of (or just seen) it: Maybe it just wasn’t your thing? It’s a deliberately a dumb satire poking at some of the really, really, really ridiculous aspects of the modelling industry. It was released two weeks after 9/11 so I believe the world was still reeling from the tragedy instead of paying attention to the box office.
Why you need to watch it–immediately!
- The quotes! Oh, the quotes! They are so much fun to toss around for any moment or occasion. “For serious!”
- Supporting roles from Vince Vaughn, Judah Friedlander, Patton Oswalt, James Marsden, Jennifer Coolidge and Andy Dick as Olga the masseuse.
- Early career appearances from Alexander Skarsgård and Justin Theroux.
- The cameos! So many fun cameos! Donald Trump, Melania Trump, Victoria Beckham, Emma Bunton, Christian Slater, Tom Ford, Cuba Gooding, Jr., Tommy Hilfiger, Natalie Portman, Lenny Kravitz, Gwen Stefani, Gavin Rossdale, Heidi Klum, Mark Ronson, Paris Hilton, David Bowie, Fred Durst, Lance Bass, Lil’ Kim, Garry Shandling, Karl Lagerfeld, Winona Ryder, Billy Zane (He’s a cool dude), Donatella Versace and Nora Dunn.
- The soundtrack! Highlights: Relax by Frankie Goes to Hollywood, No Doubt, The Wallflowers, Rufus Wainwright, Wham! and Michael Jackson
- Anything relating to The Derek Zoolander Center for Kids Who Can’t Read Good and Wanna Learn to Do Other Stuff Good Too
- The “walk-off” scene, the gasoline fight and any scene starring Will Ferrell as Mugatu should be reason alone if the points above weren’t enough.
- And because it will teach you that the best way to sort through important issues is an ORANGE MOCHA FRAPPUCCINO!!!