BY ARIANA POTICHNYJ
Year Released: 1979
How It Fared Back Then: Awesomely. The Muppets were in their prime and with their first movie, they picked up two Oscar nominations and countless new fans. Kermit and the gang were on lunchboxes, posters, even plushies you could sleep with! Which I’m sure Fille Kendall Erickson is glad she avoided by not being born for a few years.
Why It’s Lasted: This movie brings the wit that the Muppets are known for. Couple the hilarity with some great tunes, some amazing cameos, and a pretty great overall chase (a frog-leg dealer is chasing Kermit, I mean come on), you are set for a great movie.
- Why are there so many… songs… about rainbows? And what’s on the other side…?
- The song that is featured on every car trip I take – “Movin’ Right Along”
- “Ah, a bear in his natural environment–a Studebaker.”
- Sam the Eagle mimicking the censor board.
- The entire America the Beautiful scene.
- Statler and Waldorf’s haterade. If you don’t like them, I just don’t like you.
Does It Still Hold Up? Yes. Do I have to elaborate? Can I just say yes? Is that–yes. Yes it does. Yes.[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMR5JVo21wQ]